My OH's workplace are moving premises this month and their official 'leaving' party was last Friday so I was asked to provide some muffins, plus a little celebration cake (actually, they just asked for a rich fruit cake but I couldn't resist adding a bit of icing decoration to it)....so last Thursday was a Mega Muffin day!
Among the flavours I created some Lemon Drizzle Muffins and after mentioning it to a few Facebook friends, I was asked to hand over the recipe...so here it is.
Muffin Monday - Lemon Drizzle
(makes 9-11 standard sized muffins)
9oz plain flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 oz caster sugar
3floz vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (optional)
2 teaspoons fine grated lemon rind
4oz caster sugar
juice of 1 large lemon
zested lemon peel
granulated sugar to sprinkle (optional)
- Preheat oven to 190-200oC (375-400oF)
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- In another bowl combine together the egg, milk, oil, vanilla extract and lemon rind.
- Pour all of the wet ingredients into the dry mix and stir until just combined. The batter will look lumpy but no dry flour should be visible.
- Spoon into prepared muffin cups and bake 20-25mins until lightly browned.
- Once baked and removed from the oven, gently slash the tops of the muffins with a knife (or spear with a skewer) and prepare the drizzle topping -
- Place the sugar and lemon juice into a pan and heat very gently until the sugar has dissolved. Spoon half of the mixture over the muffins, making sure the liquid soaks into the slashes you've made.
- Allow the remaining drizzle mix to thicken slightly and then spread this over the muffin tops - the sugar will have begun to crystallise and set so it forms a nice crusty layer.
- Sprinkle over the lemon zest and extra granulated sugar (if required).
Oh...and here's the little celebration cake I made for the party - couldn't resist adding a little 'safety hard hat' to the top!
HSE - 'Leaving Hagley Road (2002-2012) Party' celebration cake